A snack you can enjoy on its own. An appetizer to bring to a party. A spread you can add to a wrap or sandwich. Hummus is super versatile so make a big batch, and use it throughout the week! Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber and is a really cheap and affordable item to keep in your pantry at all times.
- 1, 15 oz can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1-2 lemons, juiced (1/4 cup lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Optional: 2-3 tbsp water (if you need more liquid to mix)
- Dash of ground cumin and paprika
Add all ingredients to a high powered food processor or blender and pulse until smooth (you may need to add more olive oil and/or water as needed). Adjust salt/pepper to taste.
WAYS TO ENJOY YOUR HUMMUS:
- Appetizer (dip with whole grain crackers, apple slices, or carrots/broccoli.
- Flatbread Pizza (spread hummus on a flatbread and add toppings like basil like basil and roasted red peppers)
- Sandwich spread (spread on a whole grain wrap or piece of bread with a variety of mixed veggies)
- Spread on a whole grain piece of toast instead of butter or peanut butter.
- Make an apple sandwich with 2 slices of apples and hummus spread between.