5-Minute Tomato-Pineapple Salsa Bites
I know what you're after.... salty chips, sweet candies, and creamy textures. OK, lets take out the processed ingredients and create a satisfyingly sweet, salty and creamy snack! My mom tends to buy the processed salsas, and there are always pretzels and candies lying around. But with a recipe that stretches FAR on the $$ and gives you so much more amazing nutrients (because the enzymes aren't destroyed as they are in packaged sealed containers at the stores). You get a wonderful amount of lycopene in the tomatoes, immune, antioxidant and digestive boosting properties from your pineapple, and even some anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties from your garlic and onion.
What the SECRET? 3 things:
1. FRESH, LOCAL, ORGANIC INGREDIENTS
2. A FOOD PROCESSOR
3. THE SECRET INGREDIENT: PINEAPPLE (ok it's not so secret but its key to give it that sweet seductive taste that pulls it all together)
- Large Tomatoes (or more if needed)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion
- Handful of Cilantro
- Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 of 1 large pineapple (about 1-2 cups)
- Wash and add all ingredients to a large food processor (you may need to roughly chop the yellow onion, and remove the head of the tomatoes).
- Pulse about 30-60 seconds until you reach desired consistency.
- Chill and serve with a side of toasted pita bread with a sliver of avocado for that healthy fat and creamy texture.
SERVES: 1 Quart of Salsa
COST: $4 (same price for triple what you get from store bought brands)