Looking for some SPICE to your dinner-time fare? This dish was inspired by my recent travels to Rishikeshi, India back last Fall 2015. Indian food is rich in spices and aromatics like onions, garlic, turmeric, and ginger all of which have amazing nutritional properties (and make your food taste super delicious!!) Here's why it not only tastes amazing but is SUPER good for you!
- Turmeric: This bright yellow spice contains curcumin, which is a compound that inhibits inflammation and serves as a powerful anti-inflammatory food. TIP: Turmerics healing properties are enhanced with the addition of black pepper which contains the compound piperine.
- Ginger: A super awesome way to relieve digestive upset, nausea, loss of appetite or even fatigue and chronic pain. Fresh ginger root in this recipe adds a kick of spice too!
- Kale and Spinach: These leafy greens are rich in B vitamins which are essential for repair and synthesis of DNA. Kale also is a cruciferous veggie like our broccoli which contains glucosinolate, a phytonutrient that suppresses cancer cell growth.
- Onions & Garlic: These Allium Veggies contain the sulfur based compound, allicin. Allicin has powerful effects from amping up your immune system, to reducing high blood pressure and reducing risk of heart disease. It has even been shown to boost athletic performance!
Indian Spiced Chickpea & Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive Oil/Coconut Oil
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 Head Broccoli
- 1 can Tomatoes
- Kale or Spinach
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ginger
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Honey *Optional
- SAUTE. Saute onion and garlic with oil for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- ADD SPICE. Add the turmeric and ginger and cook for 2 more minutes.
- ADD THE REST. Dump the rest of the ingredients into the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for ~10 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and tender (you may need to periodically mix halfway through cooking).
- SERVE IMMEDIATELY.
- STORE. Store the extra in the fridge for lunch tomorrow!!