Looking for a light snack when 3pm hits or the perfect appetizer for family and friends? These little bites not only give a great presentation but they are a DELICIOUS way to score points for plant-based nutrition. I always say every meal or snack should have both protein, fiber and at least some type of veggie (if possible)... This checks the box in all areas!
- Lean Chicken Breast provides protein - CHECK
- Tomato (or any veggies for that matter) provides Fiber - CHECK
- Tomato and basil are veggies with wonderful phytonutrients like lycopene for heart and prostate health and antioxidants for inflammatory disease - CHECK
1 Large Heirloom Tomato, sliced into thick rounds
1 chicken breast (or 1 cup chopped)
¼ cup pesto (see my Pesto Recipe!)
1. Wash tomato well and slice into thick slices.
2. In a small bowl, mix chopped/shredded chicken with pesto.
3. Add chicken-pesto mixture to tomato slices and serve with a basil leaf on top. (To slice basil roll up leaves and slice into thin strips). Option to season with salt/pepper or a drizzle of olive oil.