Feel like there is nothing in the fridge? Need something EASY? This is literally 3 ingredients and anytime I am leaving for a trip (or coming home from being out of town), the fridge can look pretty sparse. Luckily, I almost always have Gluten-Free Oats, Frozen Berries in the freezer, and a box of almond milk on hand.
I know that the oats will give me fiber, protein, and vitamins and minerals like B vitamins, Iron and Folate. The blueberries (or any berry of choice), is also a great pick because I know that frozen are nutritionally the same as fresh (and sometimes even more nutritious). Berries are snap frozen when they are at their peak ripeness and so they hold on to all their antioxidants and nutrients like anthoycyanins that give their blue color and provide anti-inflammatory properties. Like me, you can enjoy this about 1 hour before a long run for an extra boost of energy to supple your muscle glycogen stores. Happy Breakfast!
BLUEBERRY & OATS IN A MUG
1 cup Frozen Blueberries or Strawberries
- 1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats (1 cup if serving for a meal, 1/2 cup if having for a snack)
- Dash of Cinnamon (few sprinkled)
- Pinch of Salt
- Optional to add a drizzle of Honey (1/2 spoonful)
- Add frozen berries to a large mug and microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove from the mike, and mash them up so there is more juice flowing. Add 2 TBSP - 1/2 cup almond milk. Add 1 cup oats, cinnamon, salt and optional honey.
- Microwave for an additional 30-60 seconds.
- Serve with a sprinkle of coconut flakes or crushed walnuts.
- NOTE: Keep it at 1/2 cup oats for a snack, or bump it up to 1 cup oats for a full breakfast.