Can Zucchini be a “pasta”? Surprise but YES - and its SO EASY (yes easier than making regular white pasta)! I love to switch up my plate and this is a great way to literally BUILD a meal up from veggies as the base (rather than most people starting with the pasta or grain). Get creative and re-make the classic “white pasta dishes” (that by the way have very little nutritional value and cause inflammation in the body). Instead, replace that white stuff with ZUCCHINI!
This dish is so delicious and SO easy (literally just 5-10 minutes from fridge to table). This mediterranean dish is is toppled with yummy tasting goodies like artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, and a touch of capers. It's east to add flavor and texture in a super simple way.. healthy DOES taste delicious!
Why is Zucchini is so GREAT for you?
- Low Calorie/Low Carb. One cup zucchini has only 20 calories (White Pasta packs over 200!)
- Manganese. It’s packed with this skin saver, cancer preventing mineral. Manganese occurs naturally in our body in very small amounts and is a component of the super oxide dismutase enzyme (SOD). This enzyme is a SUPER powerful antioxidant that finds and neutralizes harmful free radicals so they won’t damage our cells (keep in mind if these free radicals keep wandering around, they can cause genetic alterations, cell damage, inflammation, and even potentially contribute to cancerous cell growth).
- Supports Metabolism. The manganese it contains acts as a co-enzyme in energy metabolism assisting in metabolic activities in the body.
- Lowers Blood Pressure. Zucchini contains Potassium (about 300 mg), which helps reduce the effects of salt (which finds its way into our diet all too often).. Instead of cutting back on salt, why not pick up some fresh fruits & veggies like your zucchini?!
- Boosts Immunity. This green squash is rich in Vitamin C (about 33% of your needs), so juice it, blend it, or like we did here – Spiralize it to boost your health and immunity.
So if I haven’t gotten you on board yet with the salivating mediterranean flavors or because you will simply look brighter and fresher, have less puffy skin, and have a more active metabolism by eating more zucchini, then I’m going to tell you… even my family of a picky 18 year old sister and father who “doesn’t eat that kind of thing” loved their zucchini pasta! You’ve got to try it!!
This is a version of one of the many AMAZING recipes in our new What Juicers Eat Meal Plan and Recipe Book! Tons of great recipes you’ve got to check out and a meal plan to get you on track this year (or to use before an upcoming juice fast)!! https://juicing.leadpages.co/whatjuicerseat/
MEDITERANEAN ZUCCHINI NOODLES (RAW DISH)
Serves: 2-4 (depending on how big your zucchini are)
- 4-5 Zucchini (spiralized)
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Sundried Tomatoes (I used 1/2 the can)
- 1 can of artichokes
- 2 Tbsp Capers
- Add Mushrooms, spinach, or any other veggie you’d like to top it off!
- Salt/Pepper to season
- Wash zucchini and slice off the tops. Spiralize into a large bowl.
- Add canned artichokes (throw out the extra water/oil before so the dish isn’t overly oily)
- Dump out 1/2 your can of sundried tomatoes (or take out and slice into pieces if you have time)
- Add 2 Tbsp capers.
- Depending if you already have oil drizzled from the artichokes, you can add 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil and a season of fresh sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Serve as is (raw) or you can saute on the stove-top for just about 3 minutes (until it is just slightly heated. ENJOY! =)