Can Zucchini be a “pasta”? Sounds weird at first but... YES!!! And its SOOO EASY (yes easier than making regular white pasta)! I love to switch up my plate and this is a great way to literally BUILD a meal up from veggies as the base (rather than most people starting with the pasta or grain). Get creative and re-make the classic “white pasta dishes” (that by the way have very little nutritional value and cause inflammation in the body). Instead, replace that white stuff with ZUCCHINI!
This is a delicious, easy and very versatile dish. Double batch your meatballs and have throughout the week and all you need to do is spiralize the zucchini and your good to go!!!! So delicious, so easy and did I mention ITS CHEAP!? This entire meal cost me $3.50 (meatballs, zucchini and tomatoes included).
Why is Zucchini is so GREAT for you?
- Low Calorie/Low Carb. One cup zucchini has only 20 calories (White Pasta packs over 200!)
- Manganese. It’s packed with this skin saver, cancer preventing mineral. Manganese occurs naturally in our body in very small amounts and is a component of the super oxide dismutase enzyme (SOD). This enzyme is a SUPER powerful antioxidant that finds and neutralizes harmful free radicals so they won’t damage our cells (keep in mind if these free radicals keep wandering around, they can cause genetic alterations, cell damage, inflammation, and even potentially contribute to cancerous cell growth).
- Supports Metabolism. The manganese it contains acts as a co-enzyme in energy metabolism assisting in metabolic activities in the body.
- Lowers Blood Pressure. Zucchini contains Potassium (about 300 mg), which helps reduce the effects of salt (which finds its way into our diet all too often).. Instead of cutting back on salt, why not pick up some fresh fruits & veggies like your zucchini?!
- Boosts Immunity. This green squash is rich in Vitamin C (about 33% of your needs), so juice it, blend it, or like we did here – Spiralize it to boost your health and immunity.
So if I haven’t gotten you on board yet with the salivating mediterranean flavors or because you will simply look brighter and fresher, have less puffy skin, and have a more active metabolism by eating more zucchini, then I’m going to tell you… even my family of a picky 18 year old sister and father who “doesn’t eat that kind of thing” loved their zucchini pasta! You’ve got to try it!!
Apple Sage Meatballs & Zucchini Pasta
- 1 Apple
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp Sage
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 Lb. Grass-Fed, Non-GMO Lean Beef
SAUCE: 1 can of diced tomatoes or Tomato Sauce (choose those only with ingredients you recognize, not too much sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup), and no artificial sugars)
PASTA: 4-5 Zucchini (depending on the size you may need more or less for your dinner party)
- PRE-HEAT OVEN to 400F.
- USE A FOOD PROCESSOR. This will make it convenient and easy for the whole process. If you don't have one don't worry, just combine everything in a large bowl.
- CHOP APPLES & GARLIC. Chop apples & garlic using your food processor (or chop finely and add to a large bowl). Pulse a few times until apples are very finely chopped.
- ADD GARLIC, SAGE & BEEF. Add to your food processor and pulse several times to combine apples, garlic, sage and beef together.
- MAKE MEATBALLS. Scoop out small pieces of meat, roll in your hands and add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (Create 1" balls)
- COOK MEATBALLS. Bake in pre-heated 400F oven for 15 minutes until cooked through.