Your world is about to be forever changed... Raw chocolate brownies RULE!
I found this recipe on My New Roots blog originally, but found I could really mix & match the ingredients to my liking. And that is where my addiction and love for these little nuggets was then born (beware - you may need to individually wrap and freeze these babies so you don't keep going back for more like I do! =))
These little balls or bars are made with just 3 ingredients - nuts, date, and unsweetened coco powder! Coco has been show to help lower LDL cholesterol (the "bad cholesterol") and has antioxidants and flavonoids that may prevent heart disease and reduce risk factors for diabetes. Cacao also has a good amount of fiber (1 Tbsp = 2 g fiber) helping to support good digestive health and promote a healthy heart. Stick to portion control and freeze these for a little after-dinner treat.
The Raw "Brownie"
- 2 cups almonds
- 2.5-3 cups Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw cacao
- 1 cup hazelnuts (or walnuts)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Place nuts in food processor and blend on high until finely ground.
- Add the cacao and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Add your pitted dates one at a time through the feed tube of the food processor while it's running. You'll end up with a mix that looks like cake crumbs, but that when pressed, will easily stick together (if the mixture does not hold together well, add more dates).
- Press into a lined cake pan or mold if you want to make and cut into bars (you'll cut them after frozen), otherwise roll in your hands into small bowls (as shown in photo). Place in freezer or fridge until ready to serve (it is also easier to cut these when they are very cold/frozen). Store in an airtight container.