So my first experience of the traditional French Niçoise Salad was actually in the south of France, in a beautiful town called Nice (one of my most treasured trips and experiences). I was traveling with a nutrition study abroad group and we learned how to make this traditional dish from a local registered nutritionist in that area of the country. All local ingredients we picked up at the market, and then we prepared on the rocks overlooking a beautiful landscape of beach, water, and blue skies. This meal holds a special place and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did - and still do!
- 8-16 oz. Tuna Steaks (1 Large Piece)
- 2-4 Hard-boiled Eggs
- 2 cups Green Beans (boiled for ~3-5 minutes until turn bright green)
- 4-6 cups mixed lettuce greens (micro-greens, arugula, or mix of romaine lettuces)
- 1 Lemon (zest/squeeze on top)
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives
- 1-2 Roma Tomatoes, sliced (seeds removed)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- Traditional Nicoise Salad is served with anchovies and fingerling potatoes and artichokes.
- Dressing: Lemon-Oil-Garlic-Salt-Pepper Vinaigrette (homemade or drizzle vinegar and a good olive oil on top
- First get 2 small pans boiling with hot water.
- Chop your red onion, wash and roughly chop lettuces.
- The water should be boiling soon, so drop in your eggs to cook for 12 minutes, additionally boiling your green beans for about 5 minutes (or until vibrant green).
- Once green beans are bright green remove from heat, strain and blanch with ice cubes/cold water to stop them from continuing to cook.
- Sear your steaks on a medium-hot pan or grill (~3-4 minutes on one side and about 1-2 minutes on the opposite side). These cook very quickly and the key is to not cook them all the way through - they should be slightly pink in the center. While cooking the steaks, have your green beans boiling in hot water for about 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to two salad bowls. Toss with salad dressing (olive oil-lemon juice-crushed garlic-salt-pepper). Serve seared tuna steaks over the prepared salad.