EEEK yes - this recipe makes me SO excited to share with you all! I can't take all the credit though - it's from my favorite Dietitian Food + Nutrition Magazine so they really need to take all the credit =) A great option for those looking for a lower-carbohydrate "pasta like meal". When you use zucchini "noodles" you're switching to carbohydrates that come with fiber and nutrients like Vitamin A, C, Folate and Magnesium. Remember, carbs are important, but it's the quality of the foods you're getting carbohydrates from. When we have TOO MUCH carbs (think refined white pastas, cookies/cakes, processed breaks), these foods don't come with any nutrition and can have a dramatic effect on elevated blood sugars that lead us down a path towards blood sugar problems, inability to lose weight, and continued weight gain. 1 cup of cooked pasta = 45 g carbs vs. 1 cup zucchini = 4-6 g carbs.
This recipe is so delicious, a perfect recipe to make extra and store for lunch/dinner tomorrow, and a great way to enjoy your "low mein" fun flavors but get in a whole lot more vegetables, fiber and nutrients!
SERVES: 6 (yes that means if you are a party of one this is perfect to meal prep for the week!)
- 2-4 Medium Zucchinis, spiralized
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium Tamari
- 2-4 Tbsp Rice-Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Garlic Paste (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1-2 Egg
- 2 Chicken Breast, chopped into cubes
- 1 T garlic, minced
- 2 Red Bell Pepper, sliced into thin strips
- Scallions (optional)
- Bean Sprouts (optional)
- SPIRALIZE: Using a spiralizer, make your zucchini into thin noodles (YUM this is my favorite part!)
- COMBINE "SAUCE": Combine tamari, rice wine vinegar, honey and optional chili garlic paste in a small bowl.
- SCRAMBLE EGG QUICKLY. Heat a large frying pan over medium-Hi heat. Add ½ Tablespoon sesame oil and egg. Scramble egg until fully cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- ADD OIL, CHICKEN & GARLIC & STRIFRY. In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon sesame oil, followed by cubed chicken and garlic. Stir-fry chicken with a spatula for 3 to 5 minutes.
- ADD ONION, PEPPER & SPROUTS. Add onion, pepper and bean sprouts and stir-fry with a spatula for 2 to 3 minutes.
- ADD EGG & SAUCE & REDUCE HEAT. Add egg, sauce mixture, toss to combine and reduce to low heat.
- SPIRALIZE. The F+N magazine said to spiralize and cook the noodles in a separate cooking pan, but to save time and cooking utensils, I just spiraled the noodles and added them to the large pan. Cook just about 2-3 minutes to lightly combine. Beware that if you cook these noodles too long they'll get soggy!
- SERVE and optional to top with scallions or additional hot sauce?! =)
Adapted and developed from my favorite Nutrition Magazine! http://www.foodandnutrition.org/May-June-2016/Zucchini-Noodle-Mei-Fun-with-Chicken/