Zip.Zang.Yes please - Carrot, Collard Ginger Slaw! It's hot, we don't want to cook, we want something fresh, cooling but to add some pizazz to make for a "not so classic salad". This chinese styles carrot, collard, sesame slaw is perfect as a pairing to any main dish, but I also loved this all on its own for a light lunch or afternoon snack. I topped it with garbanzo beans to make it a full meal, but maybe some grilled fish, tuna steaks or salmon would be killler too! Carrots are excellent for healthy glowing skin and the collards support cellular health and even have some iron - above all the fiber on this really helps to fill you up!
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 bunch collards, shredded/sliced thin
- Scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium tamari or coconut amino
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced/grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- Toast sesame seeds. Place seeds in nonstick skillet and toast (no oil required) over medium heat 2-3 minutes.
- Make dressing. Combine oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, tamari, ginger, salt and sugar and use a fork or whisk to combine well.
- Combine all ingredients. In a large bowl, combine shredded collard greens, carrots, scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Pour dressing over the mix and toss (or shake your container if there is a lid). I find it's best to give the salad a "MASSAGE" to help loosen up the fibrous texture of the collards (literally squeeze and scrunch the mixture between your hands with the dressing). Store dressed slaw in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serve cold as a side or as a main dish with quinoa, chicken or beans on top for a complete meal.
Disclaimer... I wish I could, but I can't take credit for this magical appearance on my plate today.. It was all thanks to my favorite Dietitian magazine (Food and Nutrition) - the recipe from my magazine specifically can be found here: http://www.foodandnutrition.org/May-June-2016/Chinese-Collard-Carrot-Slaw/ Thank you FAN magazine!! =)