If you need a Fast & Simple recipe that can be versatile to use all week, this recipe if for you! Rich in fiber and pre-biotic fibers to feed your gut, this recipe uses chickpeas, black beans, celery, onion dressed in apple cider vinegar.
In my practice as a Dietitian, I find myself constantly discussing the importance of fiber and it's effects in helping cultivate a healthy balance for the gut bacteria, helping fill us up, and helping protect against certain diseases and cancers. I've recently been working with some vegetarians in my private practice so we've been discussing ways to ensure they are getting adequate protein and fiber in their diet. There are SO many plant-based proteins out there, but sometimes we think meat and chicken are the only options... So what are some PLANT based protein sources you ask?
- Beans: Black beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, black-eyed peas,
- Lentils: Brown, Green, Red varieties
- Seeds: Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Hemp Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower seeds
- Nuts: (also contains healthy fats): Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, Pecans, Pistachios, Brazil Nuts, Peanuts
- Grains: Quinoa, Wheat Germ, Bran, Oats
- “Extras“: Spirulena, Nutritional Yeast
- Dark Leafy Greens even have a small amount of protein!
Examples how to use this Bean Salad Recipe:
- Snack: Enjoy AS IS! As a snack or meal on its own – keep it to 1/2 cup for a protein rich snack.
- App: Serve as a dip with whole grain crackers
- Salad: Serve 1 cup over a bed of mixed greens for lunch or dinner
- Lunch: Wrap 1 cup in romaine or Boston Bibb lettuce
EASY BEAN SALAD
Yield: 4 cups
1 can (16 oz) Black Beans, washed
1 can (16 oz) Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans, washed
1 Large Tomato, chopped (or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved)
1/2 Red Onion, chopped/diced
1/4 cup Black Olives, halved
2 Large Carrots, chopped
2 ribs Celery, chopped
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
Drizzle Balsamic Vinegar
Salt/Pepper to taste
1/2 Tbsp Italian Herbs
Optional: Fresh Parsley
***You can make this recipe with all the ingredients, or only some of them. Sometimes I'll make it without the carrots or olives but add in cucumber and tomatoes. It's all up to you!
Get out ALL ingredients on the kitchen table (Key step to make quick and easy prep).
Rinse beans well under cold running water.
Wash all produce and chop.
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl mix well. Season with herbs, salt and pepper accordingly. Add a bit more apple cider vinegar if you want!
Store in mason jars or sealed containers to have all week. Keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.