Looking for a simple meal to batch cook and have on hand all week? This is SUPER tasty and high in nutrients, fiber, and protein. High in things like lycopene good for heart health with potential protective properties against certain cancers. When we add in lots of onion and garlic we are providing anti-viral and immune boosting properties. Simmer on the stove while you meal prep your juice, roasted veggies, quinoa or any other meals to be prepared for the week.
Easy Baked (or Crockpot) Chicken Cacciatore
- 2-4 Lbs. Organic Chicken Breasts
- 2, 16 oz. Canned Tomatoes (diced or stewed)
- 2 cups Shiitake Mushrooms (diced finely) (1 small box at the grocer)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced/diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasonings
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Tarragon, chopped roughly
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt/Pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS: Saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes until translucent. While they are sautéing, add the Italian seasoning and tarragon. Add remaining ingredients (tomatoes, chicken broth, mushrooms, chicken breasts). Let simmer with lid half on the large stock pot about 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve as is or over whole wheat pasta, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles.
***To make this in the crockpot, simply chop and add all ingredients, set to low and cook for 6 hours.