It was one of those recipes that I saw on the cover of a magazine as I was standing in the checkout line... It looked super tasty but seemed way to "fancy" to re-create. WAIT - I went home and sautéed the lamb (or beef) with some onions, garlic, spices - added a touch of spinach (actually a LOT of spinach), some raisins and then put it in a cooked acorn squash (which was microwaved - aka 10 minute meal). This was SO DAMN TASTY...SO DAMN EASY.... and that means YOU CAN MAKE IT TOO!
Choosing high quality grass fed beef and lamb can be a wonderful source of high biologically available protein, iron, B vitamins, and CLA (Cogugated Linoleic Acid) helpful for building cells. Here is a great site to find where you can get local cuts near you! EatWild.Com and if you can't find a local farmer, CSA, or local butcher, then just make sure to choose 100% Grass Fed and Organic when at the store - the quality, taste and nutrition is a HELL of a lot better than the conventional stuff!
Ok you ready to enjoy - impress - and taste some wonderful stuff?!
Moroccan Stuffed Acorn Squash
Total time: 20-30 mins Serves: 4 servings
- 1-2 acorn squash (depending on the size of your acorn squash - I just used 1)
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil/olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (or red onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red apple, diced
- 1 lb grass-fed ground lamb or beef
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp - 1/4 cup Raisins/Currants
- 2-3 handfuls of Spinach
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Nuts of choice: pine nuts, chopped almonds, pistachios
- Optional Ingredients: 2 tablespoons fresh mint, plus more for garnish, chopped pistachios)
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Pierce your acorn squash with a fork and put in the microwave for about 5-7 minutes or until it is soft. After cooking, cut your acorn squash in half from top to bottom, and scrape out the seeds with a spoon.
- While the squash is in the microwave, chop your garlic, onion & apple to a small dice.
- Heat a large skillet coated with oil over medium heat - add garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add your apple and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add lamb/beef, cumin, salt & pepper to the pan, stirring while cooking to break up the meat into pieces.
- Once meat is cooked, add in raisins and spinach and continue to stir until spinach has wilted.
- Spoon meat mixture into your microwave cooked squash and put in the oven for 10 minutes (squash should be warm and tender once you remove from the oven.)