It's always in season to serve some roasted root vegetables! This is a staple in our household because I can use these sweet and tasty treats all week long in multiple dishes! Root vegetables are starchy, meaning yes they do contain carbohydrates - but those carbohydrates are also packing in lots of micronutrients (from their orange and purple hues) and fiber which will help sustain you until your next meal. Instead of "fries" with a burger - switch to making it more whole, real, foods - more plant based using roasted sweets + beets in the oven to serve next to a grass-fed burger or better yet some grilled/baked chicken or on your chickpea kale salad.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Beets
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt/Pepper (Generous amount of sea salt)
- Pre-heat oven 350-400F.
- Wash veggies well. Remove beet tops, optional to peel skins on both beets/potatoes but not necessary (I leave mine on).
- Slice into strips or rounds.
- Toss with olive oil and generous amount of sea salt and a dash of pepper.
- Spread on a baking pan and cook in oven for 30 minutes (or until soft).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Side with Herb Roasted Chicken, Grass-fed burgers, or garlic baked salmon
- Have as a snack (YUMM)
- Serve with eggs in the morning for breakfast (or breakfast-for-dinner)
- Put in your spinach or kale salad with some chickpeas or chicken!