Sounds fancy, looks beautiful... actually SO easy and only takes about 5 Ingredients total! The key to it? Well, if you've ever come to any of my cooking demonstrations in the Cincinnati area you would know the trick!! It is to MASSAGE YOUR KALE - yup! Everyone always get's a kick out of it but it's totally the truth and it's the game changer to an amazing kale salad (one that I PROMISE you will love!!).
Why Kale? It's got so many amazing properties from it's high Vitamin K content, fiber and even protein (just 1 cup has about 4 g o plant-based protein!). The dark green color gives so many amazing antioxidant powers, phenolic acids and important micronutrients for our basic cellular functions. The reason most people don't like kale is because it's often tough and bitter.. but this recipe is about to change ALL of that!!
Kale Apple Almond Salad
SERVES: likely 3-4 (or more depending if it is an entree salad, or how big your produce is)
- Large Head of Kale
- 1-2 Red Apples (I love the honeycrips or really crisp/sweet ones!)
- 1/2 c salted/unsalted almonds (or mixed nuts)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 Tbsp craisins (or raisins, dates, or any dried fruit)
- Drizzle of: Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: Avocado, sliced
- Start by washing your kale and apples well. Strip away the long stems on the kale and put all the washed leaves in a large bowl. Transfer the leaves to a large cutting board and roughly chop. Then add the leaves back to the bowl.
- MASSAGE: Drizzle kale leaves in olive oil (about 1 Tbsp), sprinkle a pinch of salt on top and start squeezing and scrunching leaves between your hands. After 1 minute or so, the kale will start to wilt slightly and become less tough/fibrous.
- Drizzle honey/maple syrup and balsamic vinegar to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Add you apple, almonds and dried fruit (optional to add avocado). Serve!
This salad also goes great with grilled chicken, salmon, chicken tenders, quinoa or chickpeas as well! It is SO versatile so don't worry as long as you have the base of the massage kale you really can't go wrong! =) Let me know if you have any questions or want to share your own creations in the comments below!! Love to hear from you!!