YUM this easy peasy side dish is SO tasty and really takes those basic roasted vegetables to a whole new level! Meet the perfect combo of sweet, salty, starchy, with a perfect balance of acidity from fresh lemon. Parsnips if you are not familiar, are closer relatives to the carrot and potato (yet even sweeter!). When paired in combination with sweet pears (which taste UHH mazing when baked) provide for a high fiber nutrient dense side dish to your main entree for dinner or lunch!
I prepared this as a side to our chicken dinner last night, but then for breakfast this morning had it with my eggs and tossed it with a huge batch of quinoa for lunches for the week... andddd just had it for lunch as well on my spinach salad with the leftover chicken. There are SO many fun ways to enjoy your fruits and vegetables to achieve your daily target for fiber intake. Making use of foods in different ways also makes meal prep SO much easier!
Let me know what you think in the comments of this post.. I want to hear from you all in what you enjoy and what you are looking to try more of?! Have a great week!
Roasted Parsnip + Pear Side Dish
PARSNIPS + PEARS:
- 4 Parsnips
- 1-2 Pears (any variety, I used Bosc)
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 Lemons, squeezed
- 1-2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- salt/pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375F. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment.
- Start by slicing parsnips and pears into cubes or long strips.
- Place parsnips and pears on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle in a small amount of olive oil ~1/2 Tbsp and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until soft.
- While parsnips are baking, make your vinaigrette. This vinaigrette is PERFECT to save and use on a salad or in any combination for your weekly side dishes (make extra and store for 3-4 days in the fridge). Whisk lemon juice, Dijon mustard, vinegar, and garlic in a medium bowl or squeeze into a mason jar. Gradually whisk in oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once parsnips and pears are tender,, remove from oven and toss with your dijon vinaigrette. Enjoy!