I sure do love my warm baked goods when the weather gets cold out. This re-make of an "apple crisp" is perfect for breakfast to start your day rich in complex carbs that can be used right up for energy or it can be used to wind down, as the carbs can also produce a more sedative effect. Combined with the tart cherries, the oats and cherries make the perfect combo to support healthy weight loss, healthy digestion, and support a healthy sleep cycle. Tart Cherries are the all-star of this recipe for SO many reasons so lets dive into it:
Benefits of Tart Cherries:
- Reduces Post-workout fatigue
- Reduces Muscle Soreness (perfect if you are in an endurance sport or training for a long run)
- Reduces Inflammation & Pain (due to the powerful effects of anthocyanins which help to reduce symptoms of arthritis)
- Supports Healthy Blood Flow
- Support Healthy Sleep Cycle
- Contains Natural Sources of Melatonin (necessary to get and keep you asleep, and feeds into your happy hormones) (Study*)
- 1-2 cups Rolled Oats
- 1-2 cups TART cherries (fresh/frozen)
- 1 cup Blueberries (fresh/frozen)
- 1/4 cup Raw Local Honey *Additional benefit of reducing seasonal allergies, sore throats, and improving sleep)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Almonds, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine well (if you're berries are frozen, not to worry just mix them all together)
- Add mixed ingredients to a glass dish and put in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool before digging in! It might be a little messy, but this ooey gooey goodness can just pour right into your breakfast mug to eat while on the way to work or while snuggled up on the couch at the end of a long day.