BODY BOOSTING GRANOLA BARS
Healthy and smart snacking can be incredibly easy (and delicious) if we plan ahead! My boyfriend has been downing the grocery store brand's granola bars by the box on a weekly basis, so I figured, if he loves the convenience of opening a wrapper and taking a bite out of a little bar, why not give him the same experience but with ingredients right from our home (rather than a processed plant with lots of additional items and sugars!)
Not only did my bars come out more tasty, but they are packed with omega 3's... those BRAIN BOOSTING foods decrease inflammation and support healthy cognitive functioning. Omega-3 Fatty Acids are essential, meaning we need to get them from food (our body can't make them). We get these from foods like salmon, tuna, avocado, and a variety of nuts and seeds that this recipe includes! Flax seeds are one of the highest sources of omega-3 fatty acids and can help to increase your clarity, focus and memory! Almonds also add a wonderful source of Vitamin E helpful for skin and even thyroid health. The combination of nuts and seeds also make this a high fiber nutrition bar which helps to keep bowels regular and excrete any leftover toxins that need to be gathered up and swept away. A great option for someone on the go, or someone looking to transition into a more plant-based lifestyle but replacing the old foods with these mineral and vitamin rich foods like nuts and seeds!
*SIDE NOTE: Keep in mind, just because these are better for you because they don't have added refined sugars and weird unpronounced ingredients, doesn't mean to give yourself 3-4 servings more. One bar will do it! This is a nutrient packed and also energy dense bar... meaning it's got the calories and nutrients packed in, so don't go overboard otherwise you'll be tipping these healthy options in the wrong direction.
SERVES: 9, 2" Squares
- 1/2 cup Seed Mix (mix a combination or just choose 1-2: Flax, Chia, Sunflower, Pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup Almonds
- 1/4 cup raw local honey
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Get out a food processor (YES this is KEY to making these bars the perfect texture!)
- Add almonds and pulse until small pieces form but still remains chunky.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for 30 seconds or until well combined. (The texture should hold together when you pinch it in your hands. If not, add 1-2 Tbsp more honey or almond butter.
- Dump contents into a 9x9 glass baking dish. Place in the freezer for at least 1 hour. Remove from freezer and slice into 9 equal bars.
- ****For weekday snack prep, once cutting the bars, put into individual baggies or saran wrap to take as grab-and-go options.